Are you an expectant mom in Washington DC searching for a newborn photographer?
There are so many variables when it comes to photographers, that I’m reminded about when I asked a contractor, “How much would it cost to finish my basement?” He wisely responded, “How much would it cost to buy a dress?” Just as there are a myriad of price points for clothing and renovations, you can probably find newborn baby photographers in DC from $500 – $5,000 ranges!
When you purchase a dress for a special occasion, you’ll want to ascertain the quality of the fabric, the fit, the stitching, and how well it will hold up over time. If it’s time to do some construction in your home, you’ll undoubtedly make sure to inquire about the reputation of the contractor and read reviews about new appliances prior to ordering them. Similarly, when it’s time to find a newborn photographer, here is a useful checklist to help you with this once-in-a-lifetime process:
1) Read the article I recently wrote about how to choose a newborn photographer as a starting point.
2) Examine the portfolios of several newborn photographers within a 1-2 hour radius of your home.
3) Check for focus and clarity: Can you count the eyelashes of each subject in every photo? It’s outstanding how many times I see “professional” photographers who give their clients out-of-focus images that will look awful when blown up and displayed as wall art!
4) Is there a soft transition between highlights and shadows? Photos are a 2-dimensional representation of 3-dimenstional subjects. In order to realistically capture the depth in just two dimensions, light and shadows are utilize. This helps the brain understand the spacial reality within the photo and provides that touchable sense of reality to the portrait. Some photographers utilize “flat” lighting, which demonstrates little or no depth. Other photographers place so much emphasis on their artistic shadows that it is difficult to discern the baby. Find a photographer whose use of light and shadow is pleasing to your eye.
5) How much variety is there in every session? How many setups will the photographer prepare? Nobody wants a dozen photos of the baby laying on a gray blanket at slightly different angles! You’ll want to research how many poses the photographer is capable of doing to ensure that you receive a wide variety of beautiful photographs of your baby!
If you have any further questions about choosing the right photographer for your upcoming baby, feel free to contact me with any thoughts that come to mind!
Enjoy these gorgeous portraits of handsome baby Connor and his lovely parents!